Monday, March 28, 2011

Reflection - Justin

Today was the first day back at school after the trip. And yesterday was my first day home. Over the last 2 days I've found the hardest part is explaining this trip and the impact it had on me.. The last week has had a profound impact on me and the way I look at my life, the way I look at the queer community, as well as other aspects of my life. One of those is striking while things are hot in the realm of volunteering. The trip sparked a new outlook on giving my time to help others, and the way to do that is volunteering, so today I spent some time looking at places to volunteer that focus on youth and homelessness as well as the queer community. I want to make sure I set out time to dedicate to helping an organization and not loose sight of the the perspective I gained the last week.
I also found new insight into my identity especially as a gay man within the queer community. This trip really provided me the opportunities to reflect (pun intended) on my identity and how my life works with it, and how I navigate it. Because even though I've been out for some time, I still have a lot of growth and comfort to gain with it, and that will be something I continually process for the rest of my life. However, San Francisco gave me a glimpse of life where I can be completely comfortable with my identity and it's okay, which is something I strive for.
Another piece of important insight I gained in the role of allies within the queer community. We were very fortunate to have 3 people on this trip who are allies to the queer community, and they are 3 very special people for me. It's because of people like them, that people like me are here today. They provided and continually provide an astonishing amount support, kindness and compassion, and I'm so thankful to be able to call them my friends. I have really created a bond with people from this trip, and like my last entry, that's something that will stay with me forever.
Being back in Minnesota is hard, and it's an adjustment period, and it'll take time to integrate what we gained in San Francisco to our lives back home, and I'm excited, frustrated, and nervous about figuring all that out. A friend of mine shared a quote with me from a similar experience she had and I want to leave you with that -

"Exemplify patience when going home. Experiences shape us- people back home won't understand your perspective here and how it changed. You may be the first poke of something different back home."

Much love,
Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment